I made a couple of Boy Beanies last week – not using the pattern listed in the Stitch n Bitch crochet book but instead an updated pattern by the same designer that I found on Ravelry.
I did make the change of instead of chaining a small circle, I used the Magic Adjustable ring to make the starting round – so I could pull it closed and leave no gap in the top – worked beautifully!
Initially I used a 6.0mm hook and followed the pattern exactly – with the aim of making a hat for Trev – however the result was the smaller hat shown in the picture – which hardly fits on my head, let alone Trev’s! 🙂
I then attempted it again with a 7.0mm hook, and I added 2 extra lots of row 9 – to increase the length. This now fits on his head and covers his ears – and he’s taken to wearing it a lot recently. In fact it’s on his head right now 🙂 I managed to get both hats out of a single lot of yarn, so in that respect it’s worked out quite well too!
As an aside, my Mum was very happy with her scarf and rang me to tell me how nice it looked and how much she loves the yarn! She’s now in Yemen on holiday, so hopefully when she gets back I’ll be able to see her wearing it – yay!