I keep calling these Fetchings because I’m making 2 and it just seems right to say “Fetchings”, although the pattern is called “Fetching”. Anyway.
I started knitting these yesterday – took a bit of work and practise to work out what the “cable cast on” was. It has nothing to do with cables, but I really like the way the edge looks. I had trouble bringing the yarn through, so used a trusty crochet hook to help me cast on.
The crochet hook had to come out again when I realised I’d somehow managed to drop one of my purl stitches a few rows down. Managed to successfully retrieve it and carry on knitting, so it’s all good. Getting there slowly but surely. Also finally starting to recognise when stitches are on the needles the right way, and when they are twisted.
Definitely my most successful project so far in terms of how it looks. I’ve only finished one glove but it looks lovely.
It looks lovely, but doesn’t fit me very well. As you can see from the pictures below, the gloves are both short and too tight. The tightness at the top is definitely my fault – I followed what other people had done and did 9 decreases on the row before binding off, to make the top tighter. Like a numpty I then bound off very tightly too, hence the squeezing going on at the top.
I didn’t swatch for these – and just went ahead and did them on 4.0mm needles. I don’t know how much of the issue here is my gauge – whether it runs small like it does when I crochet, or whether it’s my having huuuuuge man sized hands. Either way, I’ll definitely knit these again, but I’ll use bigger needles.
I think I’ve got more than half the ball left so I should have enough to make a second pair on bigger needles once I’m done with these.
I’ll probably give these ones to my niece – she wanted some fingerless gloves after seeing me work on my Irish Hiking Armwarmers, preferably in pink, but I think she will like these.
Such a shame these don’t really fit me, as I was looking forward to wearing them 😦 I need them to be looser and longer.