This has been a good few days for learning new techniques. I practised the Italian tubular cast-on yesterday in advance of casting on for my Endpaper Mitts.
I’m hoping it will look better on 2.0mm needles and sock yarn, as opposed to the aran yarn and 6.0mm needles I used here. I used a couple of Youtube vids to help me:
It looks ok though so hopefully I will be alright.
And I bought and cast on for Otto yesterday! Made good progress throughout the afternoon and the football in the evening and Otto now looks like this:
I’m not entirely happy with him. I’ve just realised that his head is upside down for some reason. Don’t know how I managed that. Probably because I followed some other people and did less decreases and repeats on the nose than called for, to avoid him looking too “snouty”. Either way, he should still look ok. I only did 2 repeats of rows 43 and 44, making 6 rounds altogether for the nose decreases.
I’m stuffing him with pillow filling to make him baby-safe and washable – another tip from Ravelry. Thank you!
Learned lots of things so far on this bear.
Rather than doing the recommended cast-on as I couldn’t get my head around it, I used Emily Ocker’s cast-on, which uses a crochet hook and is very similar to the magic cast-ons I do in crochet when making hats or amigurumi.
I’ve also learned how to do m1r and m1l increases and how to graft, aka Kitchener Stitch. I had to Kitchener his nose and it was going well until I somehow lost one stitch in the middle and then had to bodge the rest of it. I should be able to make it look a bit better when I embroider his nose on. Hopefully.
About halfway through the body at the moment – the directions for the the legs and crotch gusset make zero sense to me right now. Hopefully if I just start “doing” them, it’ll be fine.
Soooo annoyed with myself! But I’ll carry on with him today and see how much I can get done. Hopefully he’ll be a quick project and I can have him done by tomorrow night.