In this post, I promised an update on some spinning bits and pieces I’ve been doing.
Not least of all, I broke a month-long fibre diet, twice in quick succession! Both times from the lovely Limegreenjelly.
Here is the merino/angora I mentioned in that post. It’s called Dignity and is beautifully soft and snuggly (although the angora does tend to fly up your nose):
I was then stalking Jo’s Flickr a few days later and saw this (called Hot Stuff) in the update. It’s my favourite blend of merino/cashmere/silk and I had to have it:
Gorgeous! I think probably my favourite colourway of Jo’s so far. I then realised that I have 9 lots of Jo’s fibre – none of which I’ve started to spin yet. Whoops.
I traded away the Yarn Yard Falkland March club shipment. Just a bit too brown for me – I struggled to think what I would use it for.
So I swapped it for this – the May Spunky Eclectic Fibre Club shipment called Pansy. It’s Romney and it will be the first time I’ve used it. I can’t wait to spin this – probably into socks:
My swapper also included a Hobbledehoy batt in the parcel – this is the December batt, I believe.
I received the Yarn Yard April shipment this week – it’s BFL superwash and is gorgeously soft. Inspired by weeds – it reminded me of dandelions:
I’m not a huge green fan, so I may use this for sock-weight spinning practice. I think it begs to be chain-plied, to preserve the colour changes.
Because I wasn’t hugely keen, I offered this fibre up in the ongoing swap thread on the UK Spinners forum, after snaffling some more Spunky Eclectic fibre – this time it’s more Romney in Time of the Month colour way (yes, it IS really called that). Pics to follow when it comes 🙂
I also offered some other YY fibre in case people weren’t too keen on the green. This was the 70/30 merino/silk blend I bought at Socktopus on a whim:
This was the one that was snapped up, so I’ll still have the BFL superwash to play with, which is perhaps the best turn-out 🙂
Last but not least, I finished spinning up the first half of the orange merino! As mentioned a couple of posts ago, I was going to follow some of Abby’s advice and try to make my cops look more pregnant, in an effort to pack more on. After spinning up the first bit (no idea of how many oz this is) I was amazed at how little it looked on the spindle:
What amazes me, is that the spindle in the next few pics is resting on the 2nd half of the fibre and it looks like loads! I would never have guessed that I’d already spun up a whole half of it.
Maybe because it’s so thin, it compacts itself more when you wind it on.
Took FOREVER to wind this off onto a toilet roll – felt like it anyway. That’s a lot of yardage. I imagine plying it will be interesting!
I’m still working on spinning the Shunklies merino. Half way through it now – so spun one of the plies and half of the second one. No clue what weight it will come out too – but trying to make it very soft and squishy, unlike my attempt at spinning the pink Texel.
That’s it for fibre and spinning updates! Off to do some more spinning.