I am stupidly excited by this. Yesterday I finished my first proper skein of yarn. I began with this 100% merino top from Shunklies on Etsy:
Initially I thought this might make good laceweight, but I spun up an 18wpi chain-plied sample and didn’t like the look of it. So I wanted to try my hand at spinning something thicker. I can’t spin thick to save my life at the moment, so wanted to try a proper 3-ply and try and get it to come up to aran weight. I prefer the look of a 3-ply to a 2-ply, and this was the first proper one I’ve done.
Here is a WIP pic:
I had spun up my first ply (on the ball), still had one left to spin and was half-way through the second (on the spindle) when the picture was taken.
My plan was to put them all together into a great big 3-stranded plying ball. This I managed, eventually. Finished spinning the last of the singles on Saturday night. I spun some of this in public including at Burghley House on Saturday (pics from that to come in another post) and attempted to wind the 3 stranded plying ball Sunday morning. Took both me and Trev to manage it, but we got there in the end.
Plying took me about 1 1/2 hours and in the end I had a cop that looked like this:
This is the whole 100g of fibre on my 34g Bosworth Midi Zebrawood. I didn’t wind the cop very well – mainly because I knew it would fit on there easily and I didn’t make as much effort as I should have.
Here’s some pics of it finished:
Here’s my skein info:
Split fibre into thirds and spun each third as a single ply.
Singles: approx 20-24wpi
Spun: semi-worsted (I think) – used short forward draw but didn’t smooth twist back into yarn
Plied yarn: approx 10-12wpi – approx 100 yards
Finishing: hot/cold/hot/cold water, whacking & snapping
Finished yarn: 10wpi – 98 yards
Spun on: Bosworth Midi Zebrawood – 34gms
Started: 21st June 2009
Finished: 12th July 2009
The yardage isn’t as much as I would have liked – I was hoping for over a hundred yards, and maybe a bit thicker too. I don’t think I’ve put too much twist in this, but I could perhaps have got away with a little less. I am happy with it though – my first proper usable yarn as the Texel I spun was very high twist and that ate up the yardage.
Going to try my hand at 3-ply sock yarn next. I seem to be able to spin consistently thin yarn quite well, so hopefully this will come out alright. I have a project in mind too:
4oz Romney from Spunky Eclectic in the Time of the Month colour way. This was the part of the swap that I mentioned in my previous post. Ironically, Trev really wants me to make socks for him out of this.
I also had the first part of the Ixchel Fibre Club #2 come on Friday – despite the best efforts of the Royal Mail and the postal strike to delay it.
It’s 60g of silk, angora and baby camel. I love the colours, although I may try and trade for one that has more red/purple in it. It’s beautifully soft. Have no clue what to make from it, but it’s obviously desperate to be laceweight of some kind. Perhaps a very light, soft cowl or something.
Let’s see 🙂