OK, so it’s not Saturday, it’s Sunday. But in fairness I did take all the photos I needed yesterday 🙂
Time to have a little photo catch-up of some of the other things that have been going on.
Made the standard medium size – the only change I made was to kitchener the band as soon as I had finished knitting it, rather than at the end. I found I was able to minimise holes and get a cleaner result this way.
My colleague who stole my black Ripley on account of her being pregnant (she was very cold when we went on a business trip to Madrid and in fairness I did lend it to her and she fell in love with it) will be getting a few handknits from me! I’ve started on these booties but the first one has come out super tiny. So unless she has a small baby, I don’t know what to do with them.
I’ve made a change to the pattern where I’ve used an applied i-cord to make the straps as I think it gives a nicer looking result. Just need to do the buttonholes on this first one and then knit the second. Cute, despite being too small.
Trev’s house socks:
Just past the toe on the second one now. Annoyingly, his socks are still quite tight on him across the instep – but not as much so as his Koigu socks. Next pair I try I’ll use a gusset and heel flap and see if that makes things fit any better. Of course the next pair of socks I knit will be for ME, but due to my massive cankled feet, I can still try out this technique 🙂
I’ve wound my 2-stranded plying ball – will ply it later this week once everything has settled down, to make it easier to ply. No idea what sort of yardage I will get from it, but should be a semi-decent amount.
Time of the Month Handspun:
As mentioned before this is the first 2oz, and came out to just over 100yds. Tried to long-draw in places, but didn’t really work – so this is a hybrid of lots of different drafting styles. Chain-plied it to preserve the stripes – think it looks good! Not too sure what the WPI is – somewhere between a DK and a sockweight, I think.
Limegreenjelly 800 yard challenge:
I mentioned this challenge in passing in my last post, but here’s some more info 🙂 On the LGJ group on Ravelry, we were inspired by a member who spun up a beautiful skein of laceweight using LGJ fibre and got a yardage of over 800 yards. It was then suggested that we all try and do the same, with a prize for the winner.
I’ve been a bit late to the game, esp considering that I am using a spindle, but I started on Wednesday and have already spun up about 10g or so, I reckon. In some ways I think I will be quicker with a spindle than with those on a wheel, as it’s easier to insert lots of twist, fast, but still need to get a move on before it takes me forever.
I’m using some 70/30 merino/silk blend I bought from Jo called Lhuna and so far it’s coming out like this on my Pink Ivory Mini:
When I’m totally finished with it I’ll do a blog post on how I spun it and the full details, but for now pretty pictures are enough 🙂
Right, off to do some more spinning and knitting!