Been a busy week! Can’t believe that it’s almost time for me to go back to work. But I feel like I’ve got a lot done.
Had to reorganise my stash bookcase today as I had a few new arrivals (more below). Always very scary to see how much you actually DO HAVE when you lay it all out on the bed and see it all in one place. Hmmm. But it’s all packed away again now and I don’t have to face the enormity of how much there is to use! 🙂
But I’ve got a few bits done this week. Got 2 FOs and some new fibre.
First up, the finished baby jacket:
I think my tension still looks like crap (despite blocking) and I wish I’d put the button and buttonhole further down, but overall I’m quite happy with it. Haven’t made any changes to the bottom edge, as while it curls a bit, it’s ok. I also don’t mind the curling on the cuffs – I like the way it rounds the edges and looks almost intentional!
Followed the pattern exactly as written, except for adding a one-row buttonhole. It was the first time I’ve done it, and I used the video from Knitting Help, found here.
Only other small change was when I picked up and knit the ribbing. I picked up 3 stitches for every 4 knitted stitches/rows until I had a multiple of 4+2. Pretty happy as the ribbing lines up exactly from side to side and looks quite good.
Used mattress stitch to seam the sides (I’m pretty happy with these – the only complaint would be that the seams are a little bit bulky.
Underarm seams I knitted using a “fake grafting” technique – worked much better on one arm than the other, but came out pretty well. If you have the first SnB book, instructions are there, or I’m sure you can find something similar on Ravelry.
Used about 3.5 balls of the 5 I purchased – may use the rest to make a hat or some matching booties or something. But need to get my skates on as friend is due in 6 weeks!
Second FO is a scarf knitted from the angora laceweight yarn from Baa Ram Ewe I mentioned in a previous post. I wanted to knit it up into something lacey and lovely – Trev said the yarn reminded him of me (being pink, feminine but not too girly – HA) so it had to become something for me.
I managed to make a couple of mistakes, at the beginning and the end, on the set of YOs in the middle – typically. Overall though, I’m pretty happy with it. My cast-on was way too tight so the bottom end doesn’t look as good as the top. But I hoped blocking would fix that and it has. I decided not to totally wet-block it, on the advice of Verity at the shop. Instead I pinned it out and misted it and waited for it to dry. Has definitely done the trick. Looks lovely now! Just a shame (well not really) that the weather is warming up and it’s too warm to wear it now.
I bought some new fibre for the first time in ages (club fibre doesn’t count!). I bought some more fibre from Limegreenjelly on Etsy – a lovely merino/camel/silk blend that looks divine:
I think with this fibre I’ll try a technique for turning combed top into rolags – so I can spin something light and lofty and attempt to use long draw 🙂 Technique info can be found here.
I also went to my first knit night at Baa Ram Ewe on Thursday which also happened to be a Fyberspates Trunk Show. Jeni from Fyberspates came up to chat to us and show her wares – I resisted the charms of the yarn (although I’ve queued a lovely pattern that she had a sample of in her yarn – Alchemy cardigan), but succumbed to fibre. I bought some Falkland and Superwash Falkland – can’t wait to spin these up.
Definitely want to do some more spinning. I’ve got more fibre stashed now than yarn – which is a MASSIVE problem 🙂 I need to crack on with the spinning and make a dent in the stash. And definitely must NOT buy any more fibre that isn’t club.
Huh, yeah. Like that’s going to happen!