It might seem a little counter-intuitive for me to be having a blog post with this title in the middle of May, but due to how cold this house is, I’ve been getting a move on with some projects that will help once the weather begins to turn.
I’ve recently started on Ysolda’s Hap Blanket. I’ve just finished the centre square and have started on the edging. I’m making it using some yarn I bought from Baa Ram Ewe – I have the biggest 400g ball of yarn I’ve ever seen in the grey.
It won’t be the warmest blanket as the yarn is mostly acrylic, but it’ll be a nice extra layer when the weather turns.
Last weekend I finished another Ysolda project – the Icing Swirl Hat. Was making this from a random 100g of bulky yarn I had laying around. I bought it on a whim about 2 years ago and have been desperate to use it up for ages. It’s in a colour that doesn’t suit me, and it contains alpaca, which makes me itch, so it’s a funny one.
I got about 2/3 way through making the large size of the hat and felt pretty sure I was going to run out of yarn, so I frogged back. It’s a good thing I did, as I bound off with about a foot of yarn to spare – and that was despite missing out the final knit row.
The colour of the hat in real life is actually much darker than this, but it gives you an idea of what it looks like. Not sure what I’ll do with it long term – probably gift it to someone.
Frustratingly, all this winter knitting and spinning and using of thicker yarns means I’ve made zero progress on the socks for Trev I started a month ago.
I’m a few rows of starting the gusset on the first foot, but I’ll pick them back up soon. I have another Knit Love Club parcel arriving at the end of the month and I haven’t knitted up the last one yet, so I need to get my skates on so as not to fall behind.
There’s amazingly another FO! I’ve finally got around to knitting myself a pair of Fetchings. I’ve knitted so many fingerless gloves and I’ve only ended up keeping one so far (Vintage Endpaper Mitts). So I had some leftover yarn from knitting the Ribbed Baby Jacket and thought the 1.5 skeins would be perfect to use on these.
Normally the project only uses 1 skein, but they make for quite short narrow gloves. Since I wanted to add in a proper thumb gusset and make the gloves longer at both the top and the bottom, the extra half a skein would be ideal. I also hoped it would give me the opportunity to practice cabling without a cable needle.
I’m not going to go into all the mods I made here – you can find them all listed on my Ravelry page.
I’m pretty happy with these – other than the few niggles I’ve mentioned on Rav, churning out a snuggly squishy pair of gloves in a day and a half makes me very happy!
Shame all knitting can’t be this quick 🙂