I’ve decided to frog yet another unfinished object. A looong long time ago (going back 2 years) I bought a load of Rowan Calmer from John Lewis in London.
I bought it when I started to crochet and I wanted to make a Cupcake top. It called for cotton and this seemed like a lovely blend. However due to all the trouble I have with crochet gauge (due to the way I form my stitches), I couldn’t get it to work or look right. I got about this far:
So it got frogged and the yarn rewound and I hunted for something else to make. As this was in my pre-knitting days, I hit upon another top that I wanted to crochet – the Hourglass Jacket – which uses broomstick lace.
I got all excited, completed my gauge swatch and cast on. I can’t remember why I stopped working on it after a few repeats, but I imagine I had a few other projects I needed to get finished. That was in April 2009. All I managed was this:
It’s also one of those tops that either looks amazing, or terrible depending on a) how it’s made and b) what sort of figure you have.
In looking through Ravelry today, I came across another pattern that calls for DK cotton. Hmmm. I have the perfect colour for this and just about the right yardage too. Hmmm should I frog the UFO? The pattern in question is Daisy by Kim Hargreaves and there is one particular project that has made me want to give this a try. It’s this one here.
So I’ve been off and frogged the Hourglass Jacket, regardless of whether I do specifically use this yarn for Daisy or something else – as I don’t think we’d get on very well. The only worry I have with the Daisy pattern, is how to add bust shaping – as I’d like it to be fitted around the waist but not too tight around the bust. The problem I have is that my cup size is an F, but my waist is 2-3 dress sizes smaller than my bust size. I could knit for my bust size, but then the body won’t be too tailored. I will go off and do some research on the best ways of doing this. I saw one project where it looked like some extra shaping had been put in, but I’m definitely not a competent enough knitter to attempt it without lots of investigation.
Fingers crossed this yarn gets knit up into something lovely at some point in the future!
In the meantime, I finished knitting a pair of Knucks for Trev – these took only 3 days and with the cold weather that we’re bound to have, they are going to be essential. At the moment I’m working on the bonus Knit Love Club pattern, Melomelo – which uses the most beautiful Nimu yarn – 65% silk, 35% cashmere. Soft and light and just delicious. The colours don’t suit me at all so it will make a wonderful gift for someone, but I’ll enjoy knitting the pattern.
Hope everyone has had a good weekend – we very much enjoyed the F1 this weekend – only a struggle to figure out what to do to fill the time in the 16 weeks until the next race! I have so much knitting to do that I may have to start doing without sleep, but that’s a small price to pay for so many snuggly handknits.