Warning in advance – this is going to be a picture heavy post.
In my last post I mentioned that we were refinishing the cabinet of my vintage Singer sewing machine. We’d already managed to take it from looking like this:
To looking like this once we’d stripped off the veneer and sanded it down:
It now, after several coats of paint, looks like this:
Better, don’t you think?
So now, when she’s out on the table (which she will probably be permanently, once she returns from her service) she looks like this, after a quick clean:
She’s getting there but until my sewing machine oil comes, I’m reluctant to try and clean her any more. Even though the oil isn’t here, I have had a load of other goodies arrive:
You can click to Flickr for a full review of that’s there, but some of the items include:
Finally, I was going to mention the first lot of sewing I did the other night! After I saw the Sewing Machine Man in the market, I bought some needles and thread from him:
Good quality Schmetz needles and some Coats thread. I also bought my first piece of fabric £2 for one metre from the market:
(Now I’m going to have to figure out where I’m going to put my fabric stash…)
I managed to thread up my machine all by myself, which made me very proud and started to sew. I was getting a beautiful stitch on the top:
But then I turned it over and underneath I saw:
I guessed that this was probably a tension issue… tweaked it a bit and carried on. Voila!
This made me feel like some sort of genius, I can tell you 🙂
I then tried using some of the other feet and different length stitches on a piece of fabric:
I may also have bought another machine today – this one for Trev! Watch this space, as they say 🙂