Curiosity and the red flag on the Canadian Grand Prix led me to try out my vintage Singer buttonhole attachment yesterday evening.
I bought it from eBay and it arrived during the week – I was initially surprised by the size of the box – I thought it was huge!
Given its age, the box is in amazing condition and I eventually plucked up the courage to open it and take out all of the bits.
In addition to the main “bit”, there’s also a screw to attach it to the machine, and a cover plate to cover the feed dogs – so the attachment can move the fabric without interruption. Finally I got a set of instructions.
Which I opened today and began to read… this attachment LOOKS very intimidating, but once you get to know what bits do what, it starts to become a little clearer. Essentially, you can adjust the following stuff:
You can also tweak it so that you start either at the end or along the length of the buttonhole… playing with it was quite fascinating. So here’s my first attempt!
The one on the left was my very first – using the shortest setting – and you can see it made a very short, fat buttonhole.
Next up I tried adjusting the length and then sewing over the hole twice, to give it added strength.
I also tweaked the stitch spacing, the width of stitches and the size of the cutting space.
Eventually, I got to what is probably my best attempt:
Quite satisfying to see it all come together!
The biggest problem I have is the foot pedal wanting to run away with itself. For the best results you need to stitch sloooowly, so I can see how amazingly this would work on a treadle, or even a hand crank as you’d have a bit more control – but it’s all a matter of practice I’m sure.
Absolutely loving this attachment. It was everything everyone promised it would be. Can’t wait to try out one that uses templates to make slightly different buttonholes too. So many things to try!