For the time in ages today I dug out the sewing machine and some fabric and had a go at sewing something!
Previously I’ve made a couple of box bags that you can see in old posts, but I wanted to try a tutorial that left me with no raw seams on the inside of the bag – which most do. I guess it’s part of learning and being a beginner, but I hate having the untidy edges inside. If I had an overlocker, I could use that on the edges and it would look better, but I want perfection, dammit!
So enter a new tutorial: http://sew4home.com/projects/storage-solutions/930-travel-accessories-cosmetics-a-toiletries-case
I’ve used the fabrics I’ve used before – some of the stashed vinyl and another fat quarter I had laying around. One of these days I’ll try using interfacing to stiffen the bag up, as they do some up a little floppy.
I’ve also got some denim (old pair of jeans) that I might use to make a washbag – with the vinyl as a lining – that will require some different needles and thread I imagine and of course some more zips.
I also practiced sewing on Grace – something I haven’t done too much of as the electricity still scares me. Most has been done on my handcranks – but Grace is lovely:
Thankfully now I’ve finished sewing the bag, I feel a bit happier with the machine and more comfortable using it.
Here’s some pics!
The bag is a little narrower and taller than others I’ve done – this is no doubt due to the corners I sewed – for the next one I’ll try and get similar dimensions to last time:
Little bit of wonky topstitching by the back, unfortunately – I always struggle with doing the second half of the zip:
From the front though, it looks pretty good!
There’s only one seam on the inside – from where you turn using the final corner. Next time I’ll use a matching colour thread to make this as invisible as possible:
At the back, all invisible seams inside – all you an see is my dodgy top-stitching:
I did have a slight hiccup at the back with two pins getting stuck by the back tab when I was sewing the seams. This meant I had to cut a teeny tiny whole to get the pins out – but it can hardly be seen.
Other than the top-stitching and contrasting inside thread, all other seams and lines are either invisible or as they should be! I’m pretty pleased!
I would probably consider making one or two tweaks to the pattern – it asks you to see all the way along the top and bottom, which means you end up sewing bits of the lining that really need to be left free (unless I’ve misunderstood the pattern) – so I had to unpick some bits.
Finished dimensions are:
A touch over 4″ tall
About 3.5″ wide
About 7″ long – plus strap
Will try and whizz up another one or two tomorrow – will then have to make a trip into town to get some more supplies.
I managed to get hold of a cheap zigzagger on eBay, which I’ll try (would be awesome to be able to use knit fabrics on this machine too) and am finally getting around to making a list of all of the sewing notions and things I want for the room. I’ve also taken Grace out of her table temporarily, to see if it’s easier to use that way. She stands up quite well on her own little feet and I might see about getting a proper desk that she can live on one corner of permanently.
So even though I’ve not been that successful on the knitting front recently, it’s nice to be sewing!