Woop remember Renfrew number 1? I love it so much I decided to make a second one!
This new one, which the camera keeps making look a very odd shade of blue, is actually made from the same material as Renfrew 1, but from the wrong side. As it was a double knit it was solid on one side with the star print on the other, so I was just able to squeak out a version featuring the round neck and long sleeves.
This top featured the same “cheater FBA” that I did on the first one. This time round with it being a solid colour, it's more obvious that I need more room above and beyond what this cheat method has added. See those wrinkles? Next time I will try a proper FBA and see how we get on.
It's also interesting to note that I have the same bagginess at the lower back. If I'm not mistaken, this means I need to do a sway back adjustment. What do you think?
I am very proud of some of the details on this top. I decided to use one contrasting thread with my twin needle, mostly because I couldn't be bothered to wind with another bobbin, but I think it looks quite nice with the pink!
This time around I even managed to get most of my seams to line up. Awesomeness.
I also decided I'd twin-needle/top-stitch the bottom band of the top, for a decorative detail. I think this looks quite nice, but brings me to twin-stitching fail #1 with this top:
- Make sure you don't have your stitch set to zigzag. If you do, you'll manage to break your £4 needle before you've sewn a single stitch. Oops.
So, a fresh twin needle later, I decided I'd also top-stitch the cuffs. This was trickier we even with using my free arm, it was too tight to do easily – the cuff circumference was just too small. I imagine it'd be easier on the 3/4 length sleeve as they would be a touch wider. But they still look good!
This brings me to top-stitching fail #2 which is less to do with top-stitching and more with my being a dope
- Remember to lower the presser foot before you start sewing. Sounds so obvious, right?
Yeah, doesn't it look lousy? I should probably have torn it out and started again, but it's on the inside cuff and isn't seen that much.
This was also the first time I used my shiny new walking foot. It certainly seems to help with keeping things nice and even and I'll be sure to use it on all knit projects moving forward.
What I find interesting, having now made two of these, is that knits are meant to be more forgiving, yet I can still see plenty of fit issues I'd like to rectify. I guess some of these fit issues will be standard and I will be able to make them easily to future projects without too much hassle. Still so much learning to do though! But lots more knits in my future. It's been so warm these last few weeks, I really regret having not sewn up more of a summer wardrobe. But there's still time to hopefully knock out a couple more pieces before the weather turns.
I hope 🙂